Sunday 23 October 2016

More of the Spectral



Image credit.

I have just read Henry James' (link is slow) The Jolly Corner - the Germanic writing style (long, cluttered sentences) aside, I was rather impressed with the story. There is an insinuation of interesting philosophical issues in it that I rather miss in most of the Ghost stories I have read, which at the end of the day mainly go for effect, with little deeper insight of an edifying nature beyond an entertaining yarn with its gripping scenes, felicitous descriptions, memorable characters and enveloping atmospheres. While a well told story is a fine thing to enjoy every once in a while, I feel it should be possible to squeeze more than narrative effect from the possibilities of a supernatural scenario — which accomplishment, as yet, I have not come across in substantial measure.

Among the best ghost stories I have read are

Ghost Story,  by Peter Straub

and

The Man in the Picture, by Susan Hill,



The best as yet is The Willows by Algernon Blackwood, and Bartleby by Herman Melville (though not strictly a Ghost Story).

I keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment